Title: Senior Pastor
Reports to: CCSF Board of Elders
Email for Interested Candidates: email@example.com
City Church San Francisco (www.citychurchsf.org) is a congregation of the Reformed Church in America (RCA). We were founded in 1996 as a church plant with the Presbyterian Church in America. In 2006 we realigned with the Reformed Church in America to fit our commitment to egalitarian leadership. In 2015 we became a church that welcomes and celebrates our LGBTQ congregants into full participation in the life of our church at every level. We currently have around 350 weekly attendees and around 725 persons who regularly attend. Our church is governed by a Board of Elders elected by members of the congregation.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Senior Pastor. The person in this role will provide general pastoral oversight of the church, including Staff Leadership, Spiritual Formation and Congregational Care.
City Church values being a church where a diverse group of gifted pastors come to grow, stay, and do their best work. Our dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our theology and increasingly in our staff and congregation.
Primary Objective: Lead City Church as we grow towards being an inclusive community of Jesus followers seeking the renewal of San Francisco.
- Help City Church grow in Christ and in our vision for the renewal of San Francisco
- Help City Church in our journey and maturity into inclusion
- Help our congregation grow in discipleship and as followers of Christ
- Help us serve our neighbors in the city
- Create clarity of vision and strategy across staff and congregation
- Foster a healthy staff culture of transparency and trust
- Pastoral responsibilities
- Oversight of Sunday Leadership – including primary preacher responsibilities (2+ times/month)
- Congregational Care:
- Oversight and implementation of all congregational care and community formation plans
- Increase connection among a diverse set of congregants in order to facilitate a heightened sense of belonging
- Spiritual Formation:
- Oversee City Church’s spiritual formation programs including continued development of our “Three Friendships” platform for spiritual growth
- Defining, leading and casting church vision, mission and strategy
- Lead special projects/initiatives consistent with the broader strategy
- Leadership responsibilities
- Member of Elder board
- Head of Staff
- Nurturing a healthy and inclusive staff culture
- Leading staff to continue our efforts in facilitating inclusion and belonging
- Promoting individual staff growth and professional development
- Overseeing hiring, repositioning, transitioning and dismissing staff. Seeking counsel from the elder board in these decisions and transitions.
- Minimum 5 years of pastoral experience at a senior level
- Gifted and experienced preacher/teacher
- Spiritual Depth – committed to ongoing Spiritual practices
- Catalytic with a track record of growing an organization
- Track record of creating compelling spiritual formation content
- Ordained by a denomination recognized by the Reformed Church in America and willing to associate with the City Classis (Presbytery) or able and willing to seek ordination.
- Proven fit with City Church Core Values*
- Proven fit with City Church Core Beliefs*
- Experienced and effective manager of people and teams
- Team-oriented, humble, interpersonally wise
- Emotionally Healthy and on a personal journey of wholeness
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating inclusive work environments and congregations.
- Personally affirming and inclusive of all people across gender, sexual orientation, race, and political affiliation.
- Embodies City Church’s DNA as a “bridge” church, being both committed to affirm all people and valuing ministering to people in all stages of their journey and across the theological spectrum.